Meditations on the Ascension
Before Each Hail Mary
1. The Angel that rolled back the stone of the tomb of Jesus
sat upon it. He said to the women: “Fear not for you seek Jesus who was
crucified. He is not here, for He has risen as He prophesied. Look and see
where He was laid. Go quickly, tell His disciples that He has risen, and He
will go to
2. Two of Christ’s disciples were walking from
know what has happened in
“O foolish and slow to believe what all the prophets have spoken of. Should not Christ have to suffer all these things before entering into His glory?” Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets He explained how Christ had to die and rise again to redeem mankind. When they reached the
3. The two disciples ran back to the Apostles, and told them that they had seen Jesus. While they were still talking, Jesus stood in their midst. “See my hands and feet, touch and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and blood as you see I have. Give me something to eat.” Christ ate fish and honeycomb to show that he was not a vision or a spirit, but a real person.
4. Christ said to the Apostles: “Go into the whole world and preach the gospel to every creature. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He that believes and is baptized will be saved. He that does not believe will be condemned. These signs will follow them that believe: in my name they will cast out devils, they will speak all tongues, serpents will not hurt them, poison will not harm them, and they will cure the sick and dying.”
5. Simon Peter, Thomas, Nathaniel, James and John went to the
6. John shouted out, “It is the Lord.” Peter girded himself and jumped into the sea and swam to the shore. It was 600 feet to the shore, but Peter was a strong swimmer. The others took the boat to shore behind him. Jesus said to them: “Bring the fish to me and He prepared the fish and ate with them to again prove that He was real and not an illusion or a spirit.
7. After they had eaten Jesus turned to Peter. Three times Christ asked Peter if he loved him and each time Peter said he did. Jesus then commanded him to feed his lambs and sheep with the knowledge and love that Jesus gave to him.
8. After His resurrection, Jesus stayed 40 days appearing to His Apostles and disciples, teaching then about the
9. The next day Jesus went up to
10. Two figures could be seen coming down from Heaven in the light clothed in long white garments. Each held a staff in one hand. With voices like trumpets, they said: “Men of Galilee, why do you look up to Heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you to Heaven, will come again in the same way as you have seen Him go.” At that, the Angels and the light vanished. This will be how Jesus will come again in the last days of earth.