Meditation on Finding Jesus
Before Each Hail Mary
1. Jesus grew in the personal experience of having a human
body, feeling pain, suffering and all the things the human senses experience. His
divinity was strong in determination, but His humanity had all the fears and
suffering of any child. He thought and spoke from His divine wisdom, but felt
like any human child.
2. Every year the custom of the Jews was to go to the feast of the Pasch. When Christ was 12 years of age, the Holy Family went to
3. After the feast days were over, Joseph traveled back with friends and Mary traveled back with Her relatives. Joseph thought Jesus was with Mary, and Mary thought Jesus was with Joseph. After a day they sought him out among their kinsfolk but he was not there.
4. Joseph and Mary returned to
5. Jesus was now ready to begin his public ministry. It was time to fulfill His destiny. He went to the
6. Jesus asked the doctors pointed questions and when they answered incorrectly, He would say, then why do the Scriptures say this or that? It was time to teach, convert, and then die, for this was the reason He came into the world. He was longing to get on with saving humanity.
7. Mary and Joseph were not allowed into the inner rooms of the
“How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”
8. The next passage is very strange. Luke 2:51 He went away with them and was subject (obedient) to them.
9. What does this mean, “He was subject to them?” What did they ask of Him? He is God, so what did He have to obey? We will find that answer in the mystery of the Marriage Feast of Cana. For now we have to think about the fact that the 12 year old Jesus wants to go about His Heavenly Father’s business, but He doesn't. He waits another 18 years. Why?
10. The divinity of Christ was ready to show Himself to the world and die for our sins at the age of twelve. Instead, He remained obedient to His earthly Mother and father. Imagine that Mary said to Him: “Son, do not go about Your Father’s business yet. I am not ready." Of course, She knew She would lose Him when He did, and that He would die a cruel death. She held on to Him as long a She could, all the time knowing His future....and Hers.