To: Daughter of St. Paul
50 St. Paul Avenue,
Boston, MA 02130-3491 November 12, 1998
c/o Sr. Dorothy Anne, fsp
From: Rick Salbato
Unity Publishing, Inc.
Re: Class Action Law Suit (Restraint of Trade & Rico Conspiracy)
Unity Publishing, Inc. Network 5 International, Father Vittorio Guerrera, Michael Davis, and E. Michael Jones
Dear Sr. Dorothy Anne, fsp,
I have received your letter of refusal to handle the two videos that I am promoting in the United States, "Visions on Demand" and " Divine or Deceived?" regarding the alleged apparitions at Medjugorje. I am including a Newsletter I wrote entitled "The Last Medjugorje Conference, Anaheim, California" (Exhibit A), in which I state that the Daughters of St. Paul had six to eight tables selling books at the Medjugorje Conference. I have documented evidence that the Daughters of St. Paul not only sold many un-approved books on Medjugorje and other apparitions but that they sold the condemned video "The Gospa". The "Gospa" was heavily condemned by the new bishop of Medjugorje for its lies and unfounded attacks against the retired Bishop Zanic. (Exhibit B).
It becomes very apparent that the Daughters completely disregard Canon 823 which requires an Imprimatur on any book that deals with Faith and Morals, and the commentary on that canon that states: "This canon implies that it is the diocesan bishop alone (not retired or titular bishops) who possess this authority." It also seems that the Daughters have conspired with the so-called Marian Centers to propagate the lie that because of Pope Paul VI's 1966 elimination of the index, publishers can publish without the Imprimatur. You well know this is not true since you publish and sell decrees out of the Vatican that are placed in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis, the official organ of the Holy See, and you know of the following decree:
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, November 1996
II. Regarding the circulation of texts of alleged private revelations, the Congregation states:
2) The Interpretation given by some individuals to a Decision approved by Paul VI on 14 October 1966 and promulgated on 15 November of that year, in virtue of which writings and messages resulting from alleged revelations could be freely circulated in the Church, is absolutely groundless. This decision actually referred to the "abolition of the Index of Forbidden Books" and determined that --- after the relevant censures were lifted --- the moral obligation still remained of not circulating or reading those writings which endanger faith and morals.
3) In should be recalled however that with regard to the circulation of texts of alleged private revelations, canon 623 #1 of the current Code remains in force: "the Pastors of the Church have the right to demand that writings to be published by the Christian faithful which touch upon faith or morals be submitted to their judgment".
4) Alleged supernatural revelations and writings concerning them are submitted in first instance to the judgment of the diocesan Bishop, and , in particular cases, to the judgment of the Episcopal Conference and the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
You are further aware that there have been many books and tapes written against Medjugorje over the years. Father Vittorio Guerrera was the first to write against Medjugorje since he knew and lived with the seers. Michael Davis has written two books and an audio tape against Medjugorje. Father William Most has made a tape against Medjugorje. E. Michael Jones has written two books against Medjugorje. And Network 5 International has made two videos against Medjugorje. Back in 1990 I, Rick (the publican) Salbato submitted a book to the Daughters called "The Miracle of Damascus" about a totally approved apparition of Mirna Nazzour in Damascus. This book had the proper Imprimatur from the bishop of the seer as required by law. The Daughters chose not to carry this book because it stated five times that the local bishop and only the local bishop has the right and obligation to judge not only an apparition but also any book written about that apparition. Before leaving the subject of books written against Medjugorje, it must be noted that "The Hidden Face of Medjugorje" written by Father Ivo Siric came highly recommended by the bishop of Medjugorje. (Exhibit C) and that the same book was approved by Bishop Zanic along with a French book by Gramaglia and E. Michael Jones' book, "Medjugorje: The Untold Story".
All who went against Medjugorje have been viciously attacked by the Medjugorje promoters and/or blackballed from access to the Media, including the hundreds of other Catholic book stores, Mother Angelica's EWTN, Catholic Newspapers, Catholic Conferences, and the like.
1. Mark Waterinckx experienced this when he turned against Medjugorje after taking hundreds of people to Medjugorje on countless pilgrimages. After publishing hundreds of articles in favor of Medjugorje, he wrote against it and was blackballed.
2. Fr. Vittorio Guerrera knew from the beginning that Medjugorje was false. He was blackballed and persecuted in spite of the bishop's recommending his book.
3. E. Michael Jones was blackballed in spite of the bishop's help in writing his books.
4. Michael Davis was blackballed.
5. Gramaglia was blackballed.
6. Father William Most was called by a member of Mother Angelica's staff and told to remain silent about Medjugorje or not have any more access to EWTN.
7. An anonymous letter was sent out to Father Paul Marx along with a large donation and a threat to stay away from Medjugorje
8. Dr. Malachi Martin was attacked (maybe even physically) and sabotaged when he wrote against Medjugorje.
9. The Wanderer Magazine received hundreds of pieces of hate mail when they did an article against Medjugorje.
10. Father Fessio called many Catholic organizations he is tied to financially and told them to remain silent on Medjugorje.
11. Brandamir, who was engaged to a Medjugorje seer, became afraid for his life and the lives of his relatives in Medjugorje after he did an audio tape against Medjugorje.
12. Network 5 International received death threats and continuous harassments from Medjugorje supporters after it was known that they were going to burn the pro Medjugorje film they had made and come out with a new video against it. They had to go into hiding.
13. Unity Publishing received death threats by phone and fax for writing against Medjugorje and handling the videos of Network 5 International.
14. Mark McGuire, religious editor of an Australia's Newspaper, has been harassed so much by phone he cannot get his work done.
15. Phillip J. Kronzer, a former promoter of Medjugorje, saw the truth about Medjugorje and has been called a drunk, wife beater, forger, and hater of Our Lady, all by people who have never met him, and none of which is true.
16. David Hoope, who ran a bookstore in Medjugorje, so feared for his life after seeing the truth of Medjugorje that Network 5 International had to go in and sneak him out of Bosnia.
17. Fr. Phillip Pavich, who has spent 11 years in Medjugorje, 5 year believing and 6 years not, is now threatened with bodily harm by the other Franciscans and police. Medjugorje web sites are saying he has lost his mind. We still fear for his life.
Restraint of Trade is a federal offense. In the realm of religion there can be reasons for not handling a product by a seller, if that product does not meet the standards of the religious beliefs and canons. If, however, a seller does meet these standards, this is restraint of trade.
If, also, the same company sells opposing literature that does not meet the standards and canons of that same religion and still refuses to handle literature giving a different opinion this makes the federal offense even worse.
Further, if there is a conspiracy by more that one company to keep a product off the market without proper reasons and canons - that is Rico - , a grave federal offense with severe penalties.
We can prove Rico. We have signed documents all the way back to 1990 of letters sent around the world to keep "The Miracle of Damascus" off the market, a Rico conspiracy that the Daughters were involved in. We have documents of attacks against E. Michael Jones, Network 5 International, Rick Salbato, Phil Kronzer, and Father Phillip Pavich.
I am justifiably angry, but I am first of all a Catholic. Our faith requires that I first appeal to you for justice, then to the Church authorities, meaning the bishops, the Nuncio, and the Vatican. (Matthew 18:17) As in the past I will assume you will either ignore this letter or postpone answering it for a long time. I therefore have opted to pursue a regress of grievance from the Daughters of St. Paul, at the same time as appealing to all the American bishops, the nuncio, and the Vatican. We will, however, leave one week for your response before copying the superiors of our beloved Church.
If I must pursue a Rico Conspiracy in the civil courts, I will name as coconspirators, over 100 names. Our proof will be truth as shown in a court of law, not in the publicity of the news media. An example of what we mean is the untruth of the Holy Father's support of Medjugorje. In court you must prove that false claim. In a court of law you must prove your canonical right to publish books without church approval and your right to not promote books with Church approval. Outside of court you can rely on the overwhelming propaganda network to drown out the truth like Hitler did, but not in court.
We expect some response within a week.
Respecting the Laws and Canons of Our Church
The Last Medjugorje Conference
We just attended the Medjugorje Conference in Irvine, California which we hope will be the last Medjugorje Conference in the United States. There were over 6000 people at the Conference. The Daughters of St. Paul had seven or eight tables selling books, tapes, and videos on Medjugorje. The Daughters of St. Paul were also selling the video "GOSPA" which was particularly condemned by Bishop Peric of Mostar and General Vicar Pavlovic because it lied about Bishop Zanic and painted Father Jozo Zavko as a saint. What is interesting about this is that the Daughters of St. Paul not only refused to carry books against Medjugorje by Father Vittorio Guerrera, Michael Davis, E. Michael Jones, and myself, but they also refused to carry the book "The Miracle of Damascus" which is totally approved by the Church and carries an Imprimatur. Not only was the book business a sign of the blatant disregard for the Patriarchal structure of the Church, but the sacraments administered at the conference did the same.
The conference had many priests and even had permission from the local bishop. During confessions there were 20 to 30 priests hearing confessions. But the prime celebrant was so-called "Father" Stephen Barham now calling himself an Archimandrite. In the late 70s Stephan Barham presented his faked documents to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in order to operate as a priest. Father George Maloney checked him out and refused to grant it. In the Philippines, fake priest, Stephen Barham presented his forged papers to Cardinal Sin. Again they were checked out since they to do not have the embossed seal. Barham was refused the right to preach or give out sacraments. He has no parish, no congregation, and his only occupation is conferences. In Fresno he has constantly been in trouble with the local bishop. He is also linked to St. Raphael Ministries in San Francisco, who are into the "occult" as Victoria Pantoja has been involved in witchcraft for years along with a witch from Oregon, Arial Fauley.
Diane, who attended the conference with me, also knew the background of Stephen Barham and new he was not a priest. We determined not to attend the Mass since we could be worshipping bread, which would be a sin. As we observed the proceedings a procession of priests came in with the Monstrance and placed it on the altar. The minute I saw this, I dropped to both knees to worship my God. Diane started to cry. Then I realized that I did not know if that was God or not. I looked around. Only a handful of people were kneeling. Most were sitting, others walking around, others talking to each other, some laughing. The priests went out to different areas to hear confessions. Christ (if it was Christ) was left behind for all the irreverence and indifference. Later at the Mass would be the sacrilege. This irreverence, indifference, and sacrilege is what was prophesied by the angel at Fatima in 1916.
People had told me to go feel the spirit of Medjugorje at the conference. I asked if it was the same spirit that hit Marvin Kucera, Theresa Lopez, Father Jack Spalding, Gianna, Nancy Fowler, and Jim Jennings. With no reply I finally had the guts to attend one of these conferences. Armed with first class relics of Saint Sharbel and Padre Pio I felt the spirit of Medjugorje at the conference. It was the same spirit I felt when I was a leader in the Charismatic Conferences and prayer groups. It's an addicting spirit that penetrates into all the fibers of your body but not your brain. It attacks your lower nature but not your upper nature. Your upper nature (the logos) is met by God in solitude and silence. Your lower nature requires the five senses to be penetrated. The Conference offers this. Contact with the ears, the eyes, the nose, the touch, and even the psyche bring about a feeling of euphoria in the psyche of the lower nature much the same as sex does. Yes, I felt the spirit but it wasn't God. The problem is that this spirit does not last and must be pumped up over and over again. Just like psychiatry you must keep going back over and over again or you will lose the spirit. Just like sex, it must be repeated over and over again to bring back the feelings. Trips to Medjugorje, Conferences, prayer groups, something: something every week and every month and every year. They must keep going and going or they will loose the spirit. No! This spirit is not of God, and it does not last. God's spirit stays in the upper nature and lasts even when everything goes wrong in one's life, even when God withdraws all consolations and spiritual pleasures. God's spirit remains a peace that makes one want to spend hours at a time in Church just keeping Him company. This spirit at the conference is hyper, needing constant interaction with other people.
People who went to the conference will argue that there were good priests who gave good orthodox talks, and there were hundreds of confessions. Yes! Father Stephen Duffin is a great priest who (by his ignorance of Medjugorje) gave respectability to this false spirit. Reverend Patrick Rudolph gave such a good talk I would like to have the tape, but all the salt (truth) in the world will not completely cover the sugar (lies). Every lie is covered with 95% truth. There were hundreds of confessions but did they confess that they were honoring a false Mary, that they were attracting a false spirit, that they were being disobedient to the local bishop of Medjugorje, that they were forgetting Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Akita, Our Lady of Soufanieh, Our Lady of Nicaragua, Our Lady of La Salette, Our Lady of Egypt, Little Audry, Our Lady of Tears, etc.
We should then really live as Christians and not merely have the name; for many invoke the bishop's name but do everything apart from him. Such men, I think, do not have a good conscience, for they do not assemble lawfully as commanded.
Saint Ignatius of Antioch, bishop and martyr
If this was a lawful conference or an assembly of Christians, why was the local bishop of Medjugorje not there? Why didn't Bishop Peric give his blessing. What rights does the bishop of Orange have to make a decision that effects the people of San Francisco. Suppose the bishop of Orange was to declare as true a mystic from San Francisco, whom Archbishop Levada had already ruled false. Would it be up to us sheep to decide which bishop we wanted to believe. If that were the case, every mystic would simply run around the world looking for a bishop to approve his or her claimed messages.
The upper nature of man says obey God's commandments. The lower nature of man says it feels right. The upper nature of man says obey God's Mystical Body, the Church. The lower nature says to obey one's own conscience. The upper nature of man finds God in silence and solitude. The lower nature of man finds God in conferences. Satan cannot enter the upper nature unless he comes through the door of the lower nature. "It feels good, it feels right1"she says to me. "Yes! And so does cocaine."
If American Bishops respected the authority of the local bishop of Medjugorje they would never have these conferences. A bishop can call or fax the local bishop of Medjugorje. A bishop can call or fax Rome. If they were to do this they would get a reply with a seal on it that could be shown to the whole world. No one has ever done this and then approved a conference. If American bishops would request approval for the conference from Rome or the bishop of Medjugorje, this would be the last Medjugorje Conference.
Back To Newsletter